<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Cilarcas
in a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse

It’s poetry, if you can keep it

- Ouça lá, Cranly, disse ele. Perguntou-me aquilo que eu faria e aquilo que eu não faria. Eu vou dizer-lhe aquilo que farei e aquilo que não farei. Não servirei aquilo em que já não acredito, quer isso se chame o meu lar, a minha pátria, ou a minha igreja: e tentarei exprimir-me num qualquer modo de vida ou de arte tão livre e tão completo quanto puder, usando para minha defesa as únicas armas que me permito usar – silêncio, exílio, e astúcia.
[…]
- Sim, meu filho, disse Cranly, ainda com alegria.
- Você fez-me confessar os medos que tenho. Mas vou agora dizer-lhe também aquilo de que não tenho medo. Não tenho medo de estar sozinho ou ser deixado por outrem ou de deixar seja ou que for que tenho que deixar. E não tenho medo de cometer um erro, mesmo que seja grande, mesmo que seja para a vida inteira, e talvez mesmo para a eternidade.

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, London, Penguin Popular Classics, 1996, p. 281.

r.


-Look here, Cranly, he said. You have asked me what I would do and what I would not do. I will tell you what I will do and what I will not do. I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning.
[…]
- Yes, my child, Cranly said, still gaily.
- You have made me confess the fears that I have. But I will tell you also what I do not fear. I do not fear to be alone or to be spurned for another or to leave whatever I have to leave. And I am not afraid to make a mistake, even a great mistake, a lifelong mistake, and perhaps as long as eternity too.
Monday, April 24, 2006 :: ::
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink ::